How Can I Reduce Exposure To Excessive Heat?
The Best Defense is Prevention
– Visit air-conditioned buildings in your community if your house is not air-conditioned. These may include: senior centers, theaters, libraries, or malls.
– Take a cool shower or bath
– Drink lots of fluids. If a doctor limits your fluids, ask him how much you can drink when it’s hot out. Avoid beverages containing caffeine, alcohol, or large amounts of sugar. (These drinks can cause dehydration)
– Wear lightweight, light-colored clothing to keep cool
– Watch for Signs of Heat-Related Illness – feeling hot, dry skin, confusion, or hallucinations